BCPS AGM 2019
Thanks to everyone who came to our AGM. Your support is appreciated. Once again we were a little too ambitious in trying compress too much information into too little time. We attempted to deal with the standard General Meeting items efficiently and then get to the more interesting topics.
Thanks especially to our generous sponsors: AlbertaEcotrust, Bow River Basin Council, Land Stewardship and CEAC who allow us to conduct our scientific studies. We thank you also our private donors, who allow us to exist as a society in helping for insurance fees and other cost. Thank you to MDL, Town of Cochrane, Cochrane Foundation , Ed, Blaine and many more for our trail maintenance project.
Thanks to Lyse for efficiently describing our finances and audit.
Kathryn Hull and Kristina Boehler of Cows and Fish provided an enlightening description of riparian health in general and the results of their 2018 work on our drainage (mostly good news) . Dr. Ymène Fouli updated us with her most recent water and sediment analysis.
Ken Stevenson informed us regarding his work on instream temperature loggers, the aquatic insect study he managed and the fish inventory he completed with Trout Unlimited.
Vivian and I briefly described trail use and maintenance program on the reserve lands.
Our 2019/20 objectives include commencement of a hydrology study of the drainage and a demonstration project for a beaver pond leveler.
Although the applications for the gravel pits immediately upstream of the spring at Big Hill Springs Provincial Park have been aside by judicial order, we expect that the proponents will reapply in the near future requiring our response.
Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to contact any of our Board Members if you have any comment or concern regarding our activities.
“To ensure the natural and historical values of Bighill Creek Watershed are preserved for this and future generations.”
- Big Hill Springs Provincial Park Reopens September 13, 2021
- Big Hill Springs Provincial Park Reopens Amidst Threat of Gravel Pit-September 10th, 2021 September 11, 2021
- Help Save Big Hill Springs Provincial Park August 23, 2021
- Prairie Falcon Banding June 18, 2021
- GoFundMe Change of Direction June 16, 2021
- It is important to act now! June 7, 2021
- Gravel and Parks Don’t Mix May 21, 2021
- Please Defend Alberta Parks March 30, 2021
- Is Calgary Growth Founded on Ethical Gravel? March 11, 2021
- Results from March Second RVC council hearing March 9, 2021
- Rocky View Council Puts Gravel Before Parks, March 5,2021 March 7, 2021
- Marlin Schmidt NDP Environment Critic Letter to Council February 25, 2021
- Calgary Herald’s article published on Saturday, February 20th 2021 February 22, 2021
- Bighill Creek is a Critical Wildlife Corridor February 18, 2021
- Example of submission to RVC re: Gravel pit hearing on March 2nd February 13, 2021